Sunday, November 16, 2008

"Episode 1.07"

"Sie haben keine zeit mehr!"
This week's episode is very faced-paced (not like they all aren't), trying to find answers before an entity that reminds me of the giant man-eating flower in "Little Shop Of Horrors" chomps on an agent's heart (but wasn't his purr so cuddly?!). And yes, we get another infected body in the lab with few Hazmat precautions (somebody call OSHA on these guys!), and more electrical hookups to brains (poor Pete finds out that this isn't his first time).

It is mentioned that someone is "trafficking scientific progress" and that doesn't sound good. To me that could mean that someone is doing nefarious para-scientific work that's going to the lowest (or highest, depending on what the goal is) bidder, and "They" don't much care how the goal is reached just as long as it is reached. It also makes me think that "They" are assigning different jobs to different "vendors", much like most corporate work is vended out nowadays, only the purpose here is to keep all the labs in the network separate and ignorant of what all the other projects might be. It's also a good idea to spread out your work if you are trying to keep it hidden, i.e., if a project is found at one location, all the other locations are safe and still have to be tracked down...in which case you have time to move the lab or obscure as necessary. I hope that it doesn't take too long to get into the meat of these elements. But still most everything here is happening in and around "Bahston", Mass.

Walter is especially annoying to Broyles in this caper, so I'm wondering if there is an approaching confrontation between them at some point that will reveal that they have a connection like all the others that link Walter to MD, the Observer, etc. I didn't quite understand all the code business, so I'll have to watch it again to try to get that straightened out in my head. I'll take some help on that too. :-) It doesn't seem like Fringe fans are taking apart the elements on this show in detail yet (you know, the way we do for Lost), I wish that I could find a blog that did - maybe it's out there but I just haven't found it yet. I feel as if I am missing a lot of important obscure points.

Observer was spotted in the German airport, I missed catching him this time, but I forgot to pay attention. Take a look at the episode comments on Fringe-Television to get the translations of all the German spoken in the prison (thanks to Steven!). I was very intrigued by what the prisoner was saying to Dunham about who she is supposed to trust, or not. I mean, it's obvious that there are some shady confidences going on here such as between Broyles and Nina (hey, where's Nina been?!), and Dunham and Scott, but is there an even more surprising "criss-cross" to surface in the future? And I have to say that the twist at the end really tricked me, I wasn't expecting that at all.

6 comments:

lost2010 said...

They got me with the twist too. I loved it.

In this one, Walter called Astrid - Asteroid - I listen for that as much as I watch the observer.

This is my favorite one so far. Not sure why. More of a spy feel to it and less pure sci-fi maybe.

Oh, and the heart bug wasn't too gory - that was nice.

Capcom said...

Me too, I now look forward to how he is going to twist her name around! Kinda like Lost's Sawyerisms. :-D

I'm glad that you liked this ep. Someone on another blog also mentioned that it was like Alias, as you did! Yes, more espionage is a good thing to me too.

Thanks for reading! :-)

memphish said...

Gee, I went the opposite way. But for the scene at the end this episode just about ended my Fringe watching. My biggest problem is that I just don't care if random agent I met 30 seconds ago dies because of a heart-inhabiting parasite. Likewise I don't care about the other people that the team have brought to the lab to "save." They're all just randos.

The idea that they go through all this trouble to secure crime scenes and hospitals only to trudge these people back to Walter's lab with the cow is also wearing thin on me. It's either dire or it's not, and the way they treat these people in the basement make me feel that it's not.

The more I see Anna Torv the less I like her. I do not care about Olivia's personal life and do not want to know more about it because Torv is a terrible actress and watching her be flirty is downright nauseating. In fact if they could find a way to have the show be just Peter, Walter and Astrid it would work much better for me. Broyles doesn't work for me either. Instead of understated menace that worked so well on LOST, his "passion" for the job or in this episode for his friend does not feel real at all to me. It just feels like over-acting.

But the end (and the fact that there is NOTHING else on Tuesdays) will bring me back. My biggest problem is I only really care about the 2 minutes per episode that go to the bigger mysteries. I think as a procedural, the show is a complete failure. Any of the Law & Orders or CSIs do procedural 100% better. What I don't get is that Alias (at least Seasons 1 and 2) did procedural very well too. But good procedural requires a certain level of realism and attention to detail, things I feel like Fringe completely fails to do week in and week out.

lost2010 said...

Olivia is really bad at flirting. It wouldn't be so bad if someone would just say out loud how bad she is at it - they could make it part of the show, but they play it like she's doing it right. :)

And yeah, the hazmat precautions are atrocious. OSHA doesn't have jurisdiction over federal government facilities though. Most federal government facilities choose to voluntarily obey OSHA regulations for legal reasons though. And, to my knowledge, there is no specific OSHA regulation prohibiting the presence of a cow in a lab. So, you're looking at a General Duty Clause violation at best. And no fines since they're federal govt.

Ahem, sorry. . .don't know what got into me there for a minute.

Capcom said...

I have to agree about the randos Memphish, I really wish that they would get on with the Pattern mystery solving already, i.e., clues to link to the people involved, etc. I guess that they're still just laying track for that train. I hope that the show doesn't turn into just "This Week's BEM" (Bugged Eyed Monster). :-)

Olivia was trying to be flirty? Heheh. Oh well, Gillian Anderson was rather stiff when the X-Files started, maybe Torv will get better.

There's nothing else on Tuesdays until Eureka starts back up again that is! :-D

No OSHA at goverment facilites??? Wow, I should have gone for a government job instead of corporate, IBM always had to go OSHA one better on their regs (for CYA only, I'm sure). But it drives me crazy as a former Safety Rep that they rarely wear safety glasses or shields, etc., when doing messy wet-work. Or if they touch some mysterious goo without gloves on. My brother told me that labs in colleges don't follow very good safety regs either.

lost2010 said...

They can't be fined anyway. However govt. contractors are another story.