Sunday, November 30, 2008

"Episode 1.09"

"Just your average multinational corporation specializing in secret bioresearch and defense contracting."
"Dreamscape" had a great episode intro, one of the best! But I SO wanted it to be real killer butterflies with razor wings. And I wish that J.J's shows would stop using the word b#st#rd (and SOB). :-p

So, Dunham actually has friends in the real world. But duty calls of course and it's back to work for her, where she gets another glimpse of Scott at the scene of the accident. And Nina was back in all her slippery corporate presence, but Dunham gets a zinger in as to Nina's clinical attitude towards the death of her employee. I really liked her explanation though: "Where one's domain includes the cutting edge of science, there is a risk of exposure to ideas that aren't easy to reconcile...for some it's too much to take." Or, a little too much immorality going on for their conscience to reconcile maybe Nina? A great load of BS-corporate-speak there -- she probably knows what happened, but it was a great line for her cover-up angle.

There is no way that I would have opened those thumping cargo boxes in the storage building like Dunham did, geez. The frog-juice causing vivid hallucinations and physical manifestations is a lot like the poison on the darts in the movie "Young Sherlock Holmes", a little known Spielberg film that should have had many sequels (I highly recommend it for family viewing as long as the little ones aren't scared by some murderous Egyptian cultists, which is actually tame by today's standards). Why did Dunham see the butterflies wiggle though, did she maybe get a whiff of the frog juice in the victim's apartment?

Pete's personal background story is dangerously creeping into his new life some more. And Dunham's second dip in the tank brings her closer to the threat of insanity, according to Walter. I'm beginning to wonder if Walter spent too many "adult swim" moments in the tank himself, which might be what sent his mind over the edge and his body into the funny-farm. I also think that Scott's brain is being kept "alive" at MD in a petri dish which is why he was able to acknowledge Dunham in their shared consciousness during her isolation tank moment. :-) Great epsiode all around, I thought, I enjoyed it.

4 comments:

memphish said...

I don't know. The way things just line up for these people is seriously getting on my nerves. The thing that did me in this week was the fact that Olivia and constipated agent (I don't know his name) got from Boston to NYC in less time than it took the guy they were chasing to get through the Lincoln tunnel and across Manhattan. Now I know NYC traffic is bad, but come on!

I don't understand why this show seems to stick to its Boston setting, but then treats NYC like a suburb of Boston in terms of their ability to get back and forth between the two. It takes long enough to get from Boston to the Harvard campus in the real world, but I guess the fact that this airs on 24's network should make me accept unrealistic travel times.

I did like the introduction of a life for Peter.

I'm also not following why Scott would be that guy's fear when he should know that Scott is dead. Butterflies yes, dead guys that don't look like zombies, no.

Capcom said...

That's Charlie! Constipated Agent is Charlie! Heehee, you're funny. I know, that's true what you say. Maybe MD is letting Dunham use their invisble jet plane, like Wonder Woman's. :o)

It's also bothering me that they remain close to Boston, when this stuff is supposedly happening all around the world. I guess that it would be too difficult to get the victims back to Walter's lab if they were found in, say, Tibet or Peru. But it's just kind of convenient that it always happens nearby. I would say that maybe it's happening close to MD headquarters and main labs for a reason, but Broyles said that The Pattern is happening all over "the whole world."

Scott's miraculously telling Dunham where to go to miraculously find the miraculous solution to the mystery is getting too much like a Deus ex machina situation, they should be careful. But I'm trying to be patient and overlook that kind of junk. Even the X-Files made me say, "Oh come on!" once in a while (but mostly in the last two crummy seasons).

lost2010 said...

The little moths reminded me a lot of the Langoliers. They were pretty terrifying - I was a little disappointed that they weren't real.

I just sort of fluff over all the Boston area sites in my mind by assuming that Olivia Dunham is their 'Boston area' agent. Perhaps there's actually a network of Olivia Dunhams scattered about. Perhaps some of them even have personalities.

Maybe someone will kidnap Olivia and we won't have to see her for a few episodes. . .

Oops, I actually liked the episode pretty well. Not as good as the last one - but quite entertaining.

Capcom said...

Heh, Langoliers. :-)

Well you've got a point Lost2010, maybe Dunham is just the agent covering the Boston area Pattern. I think that I'll file that in my head and use it from now on.