Monday, April 20, 2009

"Episode 1.16"

"Just put a sign warning me not to confuse your toxic playthings with breakfast."
Oh well, I was sick this week and an ongoing family element reared its head, so I didn't get a chance to rewatch and fully analyze this ep sufficiently yet. I really enjoyed this one, and it felt like the scary old X-Files monster days, if I may compare it that way once again. There was monster tension, monster mythology, and it's all good to me. Although, the woods of Upstate New York don't seem quite as scary as the foggy ferny forests of Vancouver where The Files was mostly filmed.

Charlie gets some good story time this week, albeit via being victimized by this week's Bugged Eyed Monster. I'm glad that TPTB didn't kill him off, although he's still a bit stiff I like Charlie better as time passes. And it adds some realism that at least one of the team has taken a hit in all this craziness, they were beginning to look like The Untouchables otherwise.

Who ya gonna call? Fringe Busters! Or the Mod Squad, heheh. Pretty cool.

Every paranormal event causes Walter to confront more and more of his past work and this week he comes literally face to face with some of it. I really liked how TPTB has Walter desiring to be increasingly taking more responsibility in making amends for his past work, the more he discovers and remembers what exactly it was that he was doing. But as he remembers more of it, will he also lose the innocence his insanity has given him and regain the desire to resume his ethically questionable pursuits? I wonder. John Noble is doing such an incredible job of portraying Walter's conflicting intellect, thoughts, personality, and fortitude! His range of talents are fully capable of covering Walter's range of personal complexity (also deserving of kudos to the writers!), it's really amazing to watch.

2 comments:

Bigmouth said...

Noticed something funny as I was watching this week's Fringe. The exterior scenes from Harvard are actually shot at Yale!

Capcom said...

Really? Wow, that's funny. I was wondering if they'd substitute any part of that location with anything else since they actually shoot in NY, but I figured that they could shoot all the authentic exterior that they wanted for stock footage, and make up the interiors where ever they needed to.

Did you notice the extra glyph flashes after the previews? I mentioned it in two places over at Fringe Television, but as of yesterday no one replied about it. Since the commercial break glyphs spell things out it might be pertinent to see if the others mean anything. Maybe?