Sunday, February 1, 2009

"Episode 1.12"

"All these people, and they don't have a clue."
Gosh, it's been more difficult that I expected to talk about Lost and Fringe and chew gum at the same time. Oh well, onward and upward. Was this week the first stand-alone episode, or are we supposed to just assume that this non-working slacker-dad was able to buy and build a room full of high tech computer equipment, and, was smart enough to design a viral program that can melt people's brains without any help from The Pattern people? I've been too busy reading Lost blogs to catch up on the Fringe blogs, so I don't know.

I like how Pete is getting used to his father's idiosyncrasies and is becoming more understanding and protective of him. One of these days Pete is going to find out some more about his past of being a child lab rat and will go two steps backward in his affections though, I bet. What was that coin that Pete bargained the shop guys skills with, a gold doubloon? Was Pete involved with treasure hunting too in the past? :-)

It was interesting that both Fringe and Lost had sub-stories of scientists who messed up their lab assistants somehow. And I really appreciated how TPTB had Walter dealing with his assistant's kin, that was touching. Walter was more in the background in this ep, but was as entertaining as usual. I hope that he figures out why he purchased the $2K worth of baboon seminal fluid! :-o

I can barely talk about Harris, he's such a tool, and there were just so many people like him where I worked in IBM it's too painful to even b*tch about him. It was incredibly gratifying the way that Broyles told him off. Sigh. All in all, the sub-stories were more interesting to me than the main story here. And I yelled, "You idiot!" at Dunham a lot less this week than previously. Although I did have to yell at Pete to get out of the van already!

5 comments:

lost2010 said...

I haven't even had a chance to watch it yet. Worth watching? Or save it up to watch along with the next one?

Capcom said...

I think that you could skip this one until before tomorrow's ep. But, it's worth it to watch the encounter between Walter and the assistant's mother near the end.

And I forgot to mention how nice it was that Pete apologized to Dunham. His character is really fleshing out to be the perfect guy; smart, rebellious, good manners, snarcastic, apologizes when wrong, and shows signs of being able to evolve into a better guy. Um, except for all that illegal stuff in his background.

:-)

lost2010 said...

Okay, I'm caught up now. I liked that one. Olivia was much more relaxed and likable I thought. I still don't understand why that guy thought melting people's brains was a good idea. But, the personal stories going on in the background did more to humanize Olivia and co. than anything they've tried in the past.

She looked really pretty last night too, somehow.

Did you read that the actress who plays Olivia actually married the actor who played John Scott?

Capcom said...

No, I didn't read that! Wow, that's neat.

LOL about melting brains, yeah right, the guy thought that would bring him repsect??? :-D I can see how the military might want to utilize that little program tho! That's where I'm not sure if this is stand-alone or also related to The Pattern peeps.

Olivia's been smiling a lot more since her sister and niece showed up and gave TPTB a reason to show her in a more personal and personable light. That could be why she looks better too. Befoe she only ever had a scowl on her face.

lost2010 said...

Well, before the only thing you knew about her family was that she shot her father in cold blood or something. . .not terribly endearing. . .understandable with the rest of the story as they told it. . .but not endearing.

She and the niece look comfortable together.