Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Episode 1.02"

"...Trying to maintain that distinction between God's domain and our own."
I'm really liking the crazy old coot. For one thing, up to this point he's got the most colorful personality of anyone on the show. Secondly, he's a crazy genius, a great comedic combo. His son is beginning to flesh out as a strong character for himself, as well. He's not just a rebel without a clue, he's smart, determined and logical, even if he does hold a grudge -- he's sort of snarky but with heart. We're still waiting for Agent Dunham to reveal some personality. I know, I'm mean.

This episode was good also, but had some mature content, so I won't be watching it with my 8 year old nephew because I want to leave that kind of question-answering for his parents (ahem). The easter-egg found by the guys at FringeTV (an image of a pen and a rose on a newspaper vending machine) turned out to be the name of a scientist in this episode, so good work on their part. They found other interesting items in this ep too, so be sure to go there and check out the easter-egg/screen cap section.

At first I found it difficult to believe that Agent Dunham could go to Massive Dynamics and just ask for a bizarre state of the art piece of equipment and get it without any questions asked, but then I remembered the opening scene where The Group (what I'm calling them for now) has chosen her and her two Bishop cohorts to work on their team. I didn't understand why they asked her to work for MD, if she's already considered a part of The Group, so maybe someone can explain that to me. The scene where old man Bishop remembers where he left his car reminded me of "Silence of the Lambs" where Starling breaks into the garage and, well, you know what she finds. It's similar here, probably an homage to that movie but I won't spoil it. The lighting in the scene near the end when Dunham finds the "old man" perp, was a Hitchcockian touch (a la "Psycho", in the scene where mother Bates' corpse is revealed and the hanging lamp is swinging dramatically back and forth).

There are lots of clues in the episode for mysteries to come, including the possibility of a not-so-normal childhood of Peter Bishop, so we get to think about how that will all unfold. Hmmm. For additional info and behind the scenes work, including SFX, visit the official FOX site for the show.

11 comments:

memphish said...

Hey Capcom -- who are the triplets from the end? Are they the rapidly aging murderers siblings or Peter? I've heard both.

Capcom said...

Hey Memphish, thanks for visiting!

I don't know what to think. It seems as if TPTB are hinting that Peter is in there somewhere, because of alluding to as much ealier in the show with the conversation between Anna and Walter. So it does seem like it might be. But you never know with these guys, they'll get us to think one way and then pull the rug out from under our brains later probably.

Maybe we'll see Anna investigating into that lttle mystery in the future. They can get a lot of story mileage out of the supersoldier plot in lots of ways.

memphish said...

I was hoping you'd seen it in some discussion group.

I honestly didn't look terribly closely and didn't go back and look, but I really liked how they just sort of snuck it in there for just a few seconds.

I want to know about Peter's medical history. I wonder if Walter was hinting that Peter needs some weird medicine regularly like the pituitary stuff.

There was one other thing I kind of remember that led me to think there might be Peter clones. Walter said something about "you always act such and so way." And Peter said how would you know, you didn't spend any time with me. Makes me wonder if Walter did spend time with Peter v. 2.1 vs. 1.1 or something like that.

Capcom said...

Oh, heheh, no I didn't hear anything definite yet.

You're right, they did say something like that, also about Peter not being fat anymore. It sort of made it sound like he lost weight quickly. It would be interesting if there were more than one Peter. Uh-oh. When he finds out it won't be pretty, he's got a temper.

Capcom said...

Memphish, here's what Core posted on the FOX blog: "When Peter first sees his father, Walter Bishop, Walter comments that he isn't fat. He then proceeds to grab Peter's head and check the dilation of his pupils. In the car during the FBI raid on Steigs lab he says he wants to check Peter's blood pressure and comments that his skin tone makes him think he has arterial hypertension. Combine these things with the fact that Walter is a genius and his son an even bigger genius and you get the theory that Walter did something to Peter when he was young, possibly in the fetus stage that would emerge at a specific point in Peter's life based on how many chemical reactions his body has performed at that point. Since he's not fat his body has a higher metabolism and whatever was done will emerge sooner and possibly more drastically with less time for Peter to adapt to it rather than a gradual emergence. Hence the pupil checking and the desire to check blood pressure. Walter wanted to know how long until whatever he did emerged. Since Peter has an incredibly high IQ whatever emerges will probably be a mental ability of some sort."

That's along the lines of what I was thinking, with what we know thus far. Maybe Peter is even a clone of Walter?

memphish said...

Sounds very Alias.

Capcom said...

Does it? I know I should have, but I never got into watching that show. The pink wig in the Pilot turned me off. I don't really like her acting either, I think it's her eternal pout. I guess when it's rerun on ScFi channel I'll watch it. :-)

memphish said...

I really liked the first 2 seasons. Each episode ended with a real cliffhanger that wouldn't get wrapped up until the first 5-10 minutes of the next episode. Perfect for DVD viewing. Season 3 was tolerable, but I couldn't bring myself to finish Season 4. It just got boring and didn't like where they took the day to day story.

I actually liked the Sydney costume du jour. The other thing S1 and 2 really had going for them was the supporting cast. And there were lots of twists and turns in terms of loyalties particularly.

Capcom said...

OK, that sounds good, I'll definitely check it out next time it's in syndication.

The thing about the pink wig, was just that it seems like any time a movie wants you to think that a character is kooky or offbeat, they always slap a pink wig on the girl, and it's just so played out that it turned me off. I admit, I was being prejudiced. :-\ And that was even before Britney's pink wig problem.

maven said...

Thanks for starting this blog, Capcom. I, too, am enjoying Fringe. And, Walter is a real hoot!

I wouldn't put it past Walter to do experiments on his son, so we'll see how that plays out.

And Peter is becoming a very interesting character. He might have started out as a flake, but he's evolving into a very smart one.

The ending was awesome...I've heard everything from they're all Peter clones to Penrose cones. To me the middle one looks like Peter and the two bookends could be Penrose.

Capcom said...

Hey Maven, thanks for stopping by! I'm very interested in hearing how everyone else interprets Fringe.

That's what I was thinking about the triplets. The two on the outside look a bit different from the middle one, but it could be just the glass.

I was also thinking that it would be crazy if Peter turned out to be Walter (who's had some kind of youth drug) and Walter is actually the son (who's aged, and was put in the asylum to be kept quiet). It's too nutty I know, but the way that Peter speaks to Walter sounds more like he's the father. I know that happens sometimes when elders get senile, but it just keeps popping into my head.