Tuesday, September 16, 2008

"Episode 1.01"

"I just want to go back to before."
I enjoyed the first episode of Fringe, although it didn't blow me away enough to need to talk about it immediately (or maybe it's just my general malaise this week). But, I had to warm up to the X-Files too, so I'm going to keep watching it even though it conflicts with my favorite Scifi show, Eureka, which I'll watch at midnight.

The opening theme music and score is good, by Giacchino from LOST. So lots of scary shaky violins too. The special effects in the show were great, and just right...not too few and not too over the top ridiculous. It wasn't as creepy as I expected it to be, but that might ramp up later. There is a lot more dialogue than in LOST, so that's a relief. As some reviewers have mentioned, all the difficult tasks that they had to set up for their investigation were completed much to easily. But, that's TV.

The characters came out of the gate well enough. Agent Dunham is no Dana Scully, but those are impossible shoes to fill IMO, so that's not quite fair. Everyone else seems plausible and I'm looking forward to seeing what TPTB will do with the characters, and how many more they'll bring in (and kill off). I really like Walter, the old crazy guy.

A few things reminded me of other shows; the cow reminded me of Dark Skies, when the main couple found the cow in the farm lab with the human baby in it; the see-through man reminded of The X-Files:Fight The Future, where the bodies incubating aliens went transparent and gooey; and of course the isolation tank is reminiscent of Altered States.

Overall, it was fun and interesting. I hope that the list of the "Pattern" incidents mentioned are an indication of the kinds of events that the show will follow. The end twist was a good one, and we are also left with the idea that, as in the X-Files, the agents aren't as powerful in their crime-fighting as they had hoped, and that there are people on the inside of the government that are undermining the safety and sanctity of our everyday lives. I'm looking forward to the next episode, and of course, seeing if they show the dead agent being "questioned" before the 6-hour window is up for probing his consciousness. Till then, I leave deeper scrutiny of this ep to the guys at FringeTV. :-)

3 comments:

lost2010 said...

Well, I finally got to watch the pilot. It was. . .way too gory for me. . .I don't have a strong enough stomach for this one I don't think.

You're blog is great though. Nice job.

Capcom said...

Tx! And I'm glad that you finally got to view the show!

Well, I think that it will be at least as graphic as X-Files was if not more, but they might not have things like Flukeman or Tooms the liver-eating guy (shudder). :-o

lost2010 said...

I didn't watch the X-files very often either. I don't mind spooky, but I'm not big on gore.