Tuesday, July 1, 2008

"Outre' Science"

Be sure to keep an eye on the updates at: http://fringetv.blogspot.com/.

Wiki: Fringe science is scientific inquiry in an established field of study, which departs significantly from mainstream or orthodox theories but which can be classified in the "fringes" of a credible mainstream academic discipline...many fringe science ideas are advanced by individuals either from outside the field of science, or by scientists outside the mainstream of their own disciplines. Another use of the term is in describing fields of knowledge which are not, for lack of evidence or confirmability, recognized as bona fide sciences.

"Ptolemy created a universe that lasted a thousand years. Copernicus created a universe that lasted four hundred years. Einstein has created a universe, and I can't tell you how long it will last." -- George Bernard Shaw

4 comments:

Ohighway said...

Yeah, way "out there" one day.... mainstream the next. Amazing how quickly we adapt to new technology.

I have a friend who had a tough time finding a job he liked. He's now working for Liquidia Technologies. They're doing some pretty cutting edge work in nanoscience aimed at medical applications. liquidia.com

If you get a chance contact me via my email link. I wanted to comment on your latest "pit" entry.

Capcom said...

Yes, even though what Arthur C. Clarke said about new sciences once looking like magic is true, a lot of what we have today still looks magical to me.

Awesome company! I could run an SEM there. :-) That was my favorite job in the lab.

OK, I'll email you about that.

Edward Ott said...

I really love the shaw quote.

Capcom said...

I do too, I just recently came upon it. So far it seems as if Einstein's universe is changing and being confirmed at the same time.